Independence Day is a US Holiday, but if you’re from somewhere else you can always join in with the fun. There are plenty of ways celebrate Independence Day, but as it’s the height of summer why not host a party in your backyard, complete with themed food and drinks?
We know, cooking for friends and family can be a little bit daunting so we have pulled together some our favourite U.S.-themed dishes that will go down a treat with your guests.
The We Love Wipes Independence Day Menu
What’s more American than hot dogs? They’re simple to cook and serve up meaning you can create your own hot dog bar, complete with sauces and toppings, and tell your guests to help themselves!
Our favorite are chilli dogs, but they require a little more preparation and they can be quite messy. It’s always a good idea to have a couple of packs of wipes handy to clean up after you and your guests have chowed down on the chilli dogs.
To get started you’ll need:
- 2lbs ground beef
- 1 (15 oz) can beans
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium cup of salsa
- 2 medium cup of tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 (1.25 oz) packet chilli seasoning mix
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Water
How to make it:
- Place the ground beef in a large pot and throw in the garlic salt. Cook over medium heat until browned with onion.
- Drain off the excess fat, and then pour in the tomato sauce, chilli seasoning, salt and pepper
- Stir together well, cover, and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes overly dry, add 1/4 cup water at a time as needed.
- After 1 hour check on the chilli and add the beans and salsa, allowing the chilli to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and serve on top of delicious hot dogs.
If you’ve still got space after all that food, this recipe for Red, White and Blue Dipped Rice Krispie Pops will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 paper straws cut in half
- 2 oz white candy melts
- 8 pack rice krispie treats
- 5 oz red candy melts
- Red, white and blue sprinkles.
How to make them:
- Melt the white candy melts in the microwave according to the package instructions.
- Dip each paper straw into the melted candy and then stick it into the smaller end of each rice krispie treat, on the side. Set the treats on parchment paper to dry. Set white candy aside.
- Melt the red candy melts in the microwave according to the package instructions.
- Holding onto the straw, dip each rice krispie treat into the melted candy, coating half of the treat with the red candy. Tap the straw on the side of the bowl containing the candy to remove the excess. Place the treats on parchment paper to dry.
- Melt the blue candy melts in the microwave according to the package instructions.
- Holding onto the straw, dip each rice krispie treat into the melted candy, coating half of the treat with the red candy. Tap the straw on the side of the bowl containing the candy to remove the excess. Immediately sprinkle red, white and blue sprinkles onto the candy, before it dries. Place the treats on parchment paper to dry.
- Re-warm the white candy melts in the microwave so they are melted again.
- Add the melted candy to a ziplock bag, trim off one corner and drizzle the melted white candy over the red candy-colored treats. Place the treats on parchment paper to dry.
- Store decorated treats in an air-tight container until ready to serve.
Finish off your feast with some red, white and blue drinks which can have a drop in alcohol for the adults or just lemonade for the kids. Take a look at this recipe for red, white and blue vodka lemonade slushes – perfect for celebrating the day if it’s hot. You’ll need:
- 9 cups of ice
- 1 cup grenadine syrup
- 1 cup Blue Curacao
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup lemonade
How to make them:
- Using a blender on crush setting, mix 3 cups of ice and grenadine syrup together until slushy. Note: You need this layer to be extra thick, so if needed, add up to 1 cup more ice and blend. When finished, set aside.
- Repeat the step for the Blue Curacao, blending with 3 cups of ice until slushy. Like the last layer, you want this to be extra thick. If needed, add up to 1 more cup of ice and blend. Set aside
- Add vodka, lemonade, and remaining 3 cups of ice to the blender and mix until slushy. It's not as important for this layer to be thick, but it should be comparable to the others. Add up to 1 more cup of ice if needed. When finished, set aside.
- Prepare drinks by layering the flavors in this order: grenadine, blue curacao, and finish with the vodka lemonade on top. Serve.