I am made for cleaning, and have an appreciation of all things spick-and-span, but little do people know! From the start of my life, within a week I turn into the dirtiest object in my household – far filthier than any bathtub or toilet seat. Seems like no one cares for my well-being, or for that matter, their own either
Like most others’ my work begins on Monday at the start of a brand new week. I enjoy wiping the kitchen counters and tables, touching stove tops and inside of microwave oven with my sanitizing touch. This is what I was born to do! It is not until the evening, when I am left lying wet in
a heap in the bottom of a sink next to unwashed dishes and leftovers, when I see the creeping and crawling newborn bacteria reaching at my hem.
By Tuesday morning I am feeling dirtier and dirtier. My growing entourage of disgusting bacteria clinging to me increases – just what you would expect to get from a couple of wipes of a knife used for chopping raw meat, residues of milky baby puke from a high chair and leftover breakfast remains from the floor. Using me in all of these different places and on all of these icky things means more and more different types of nasty bacteria growing on me as the day goes on!
I am a reusable dish cloth and need to be boiled in water for 15 minutes or given a good blast in bowl of water in the microwave at least every second day to keep myself clean. Another alternative is to wash me in the washing machine at 60 degrees. This can get complic
ated to many users of mine, and not very eco-friendly either. My Nordic counterparts have at least the dish brush as company to help take care of the dish washing, and should hopefully keep them a bit cleaner. Did you know, that there is even research dedicated to me and my fellow dish cloths? According to the research, one if four of us carries E. Coli bacteria and on one in six, there was listeria found. My one-time-use cleaning companion the disposable wipe might not have a long life but at least it’s a clean life – short and sweet!
By Thursday evening my pores are completely clogged, I can barely breathe and I start to stink. My kind owner washed me under a tap and soaked me in dish wash solution, which is not quite enough. Even worse is never letting me dry properly. Imagine your own feet soaked with wet socks and stuck in a pair of Wellingtons for a few days! It truly is disgusting.
Now it’s Friday and I must have grown feet! Put me, please, out of this misery, I was not brought to life to spread disease and sickness!