Nonwovens are used to make a wide range of both disposable and durable everyday products from wet wipes to tea bags to construction products.
What do nonwovens do?
Nonwovens are good for several purposes. They have properties like absorbency, antistatic, compostability, breathability, durable, dust free, elasticity, heat sealable, kind to skin, light, lint free, liquid repellent, mouldable, printable, protective, smooth, soft, sterilizable, strong and tear resistant. By selecting a right kind of product made of nonwoven you also get the optimal properties for your purpose.
Where can you spot nonwoven materials?
If you look carefully around you can find a range of nonwoven materials around you. See for example:
- Wet wipes for personal care in all ages
- Facial cleaning, exfoliating and pampering products for men and women
- Make up and nail polish removal products
- Nappies and baby wipes
- Feminine hygiene and incontinence products
- Interlinings in clothing and apparels
- Tea bags and coffee filters
- Cleaning equipment for all kind of dusting, wiping and scrubbing
- Covers of head and arm rests when travelling
- Isolation and filtering materials in buildings and construction
- Upholsteries on furniture and interiors
- Wall covers
- Protective apparels and gowns in hospitals, cleanrooms and manufactories
- Covers and protection materials in civil engineering
- Disinfecting products
- Wound care products, pads and dressings
How are nonwovens made?
Nonwovens are typically made on production lines by binding the raw materials mechanically, thermally or chemically. Production machines big – like paper machines - and production width can be several meters. Typical raw materials of nonwovens are viscose, pulp, cotton, polyester and polypropylene.
After production nonwovens are delivered as jumbo rolls for refining. Rolls are cut to correct size for the end products. Treatments and lotions are added and products are packaged, too.
If you’re interested, just keep our eyes open – You may spot a lot of nonwoven materials used in your everyday items around you!