We have compiled a list of places that are so germ ridden, that you never would have given it a second thought!
Your office desk has 400 times more bacteria than a toilet bowl. So if you are thinking that scrubbing your toilet until it’s sparkling clean, you may want to have a good think and head for that desk of yours. People often don’t consider the germs that build up on their desk and although most of them are harmless, you need to make sure that you’re keeping on top of desk cleaning. It just takes one harmful germ to start breeding and before you know it your desk is the reason you’re sick. Have some anti-bacterial wipes handy to give your desk a wipe over when you’re done.
Your kitchen sponge is especially gross. All the bacteria from dirty dishes seep right into the sponge and, because a dish sponge is generally always wet 90% of the time, the bacteria stays and breeds faster. To keep your sponge from getting too germ ridden, you can put it in the dishwasher and this will get rid of most of the germs as well as keeping it clean. Alternatively, you can put it in the microwave for about a minute and this not only dries the sponge, the heat will also destroy any bacteria.
Door Knobs, Cupboard Handles, and Light Switches!
So you probably think these are bad and, considering they are a hard surface, the bacteria on them will die within 24 hours, but in fact these places are often missed while cleaning. Therefore they just need a quick wipe down with some wipes every so often. When you’re cleaning, only cover 1 or 2 places before getting a new wipe, as you will be just moving the germs from one place to another.
If you keep your toothbrush in the same room as your toilet then every time you flush your toilet your toothbrush gets sprayed with bacteria, even if the lid is down on the toilet! The germs on your toothbrush will most likely be harmless, as when the toothbrush is dry the germs will most likely die. But try and keep your toothbrush away from the toilet or even get a cap to put over the bristles.
The bacteria from your skin go onto your make up brushes and, because of the hairs and the density of your brushes, the bacteria can breed. Therefore it will spread more bacteria back onto your face, which you probably wont get sick from, but you are more likely to get spots or even pinkeye. To stop this from happening, wash your brushes once a week and if you can spot clean your brushes when you’re done (especially with face brushes, less so with the eye brushes) either use a spot cleaning spay and a wipe to clean it off or you can get some alcohol and put it on a cotton pad and wipe your brush onto it (don’t do this too often, as the alcohol will dry the brushes out).
Next time when you are cleaning, make sure you watch out for these!